RP23 AND GENDER EQUALITY
Supporting women’s participation and leadership in the Regional Platform
- UNDRR’s efforts in promoting women’s participation in international meetings has resulted in strides towards gender parity, from 30% of participants being female at the 2015 World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction to 53% at the 2021 Regional Platform for DRR.
- UNDRR asked Governments to promote gender balanced delegations and promote senior / high-level women’s representation at the 2023 Regional Platform for DRR.
Promoting gender parity panels at the Global Platform
- At the 2021 Regional Platform gender parity panels were achieved across all 12 formal sessions. As per UNDRR’s gender parity implementation plan and through the Special Representative of the Secretary General’s commitments as an International Gender Champion, UNDRR is committed to continuing to ensure gender parity in all Regional Platform panels.
- These efforts are expected to lead to an equal representation between men and women as sessions chairs, panelists, and moderators. Neither all-male nor all-female panels are desirable and should be avoided.
Hearing from women in Regional Platform discussions
- Women were encouraged to take active leading and speaking roles throughout the 2023 Regional Platform discussions, be it in formal sessions as a (co)chair, (keynote) speaker, moderator, facilitator, or discussant from the floor.
- Continuing the success from the 2021 Regional Platform, UNDRR is committed to ensure gender parity in the organizing teams of the 2023 Regional Platform substantive sessions (High level Dialogues, Plenaries, Special Sessions).
Building a strong network for gender equality and women’s empowerment within the Regional Platform
Through the Women from Latin America and the Caribbean launch network for disaster risk reduction, the Regional Platform will provide an opportunity for women and women’s organization's working across disaster risk reduction and male champions for gender equality to connect and learn from each other. Opportunities include:
- Preparatory days to organize informal discussions and consultations to share experiences and good practices to prepare and position gender equality and women’s empowerment for discussions during the formal program.
- Side events to promote gender equality and women’s leadership in DRR. The outcomes of the side events will be reflected in the Global Platform proceedings.
- The Ignite Stage will continue to represent interactive opportunities for women’s group to showcase their work and achievements in disaster risk reduction.
- The Innovation Platform will feature innovative approaches and achievements in DRR. Innovation concerning gender equality and women’s leadership in disaster risk reduction is strongly encouraged.
- Learning Labs will be organized on specific topics to facilitate peer-to-peer learning among Governments and stakeholders to accelerate the implementation of the Sendai Framework. Strong participation of women will be promoted and fostering learning on gender equality in DRR will be welcomed.
For more information, please contact UNDRR’s Gender Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on the regional network: https://www.undrr.org/women-and-drr